<p>Former University of Florida teammates, Jacksonville Jaguars' Dante Fowler, left, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Vernon Hargreaves, right, pose for a photo after they signed and exchanged jerseys after an NFL preseason football game in Jacksonville, Fla., Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)</p>

Former University of Florida teammates, Jacksonville Jaguars' Dante Fowler, left, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Vernon Hargreaves, right, pose for a photo after they signed and exchanged jerseys after an NFL preseason football game in Jacksonville, Fla., Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016. (AP Photo/Stephen B. Morton)

The NFL preseason is back in session, which means it's time for four weeks of almost-football: the grace period for rookies to get their feet wet and veterans to get back in form for Week 1. Halfway through the preseason, let’s take a look at how Florida’s former Gators are competing at the next level.

Rookies

Vernon Hargreaves snagged the spotlight on Saturday with two acrobatic interceptions.

The former Florida cornerback picked off Jacksonville’s Chad Henne twice on back-to-back drives in Tampa Bay’s 27-21 win over the Jaguars.

Hargreaves’ first interception was returned for 28 yards late in the second quarter. On the Jaguars' first drive of the second half, Hargreaves was at it again, leaping in front of Jacksonville receiver Bryan Walters for a second interception.

“The game’s about the ball. That’s the money,” Hargreaves said after the 27-21 win. “Everything’s about the ball. So I try to find a way to stay close to it and get my hands on it.”

Former UF running back Kelvin Taylor also made a solid impression over the weekend. After just two carries in the preseason opener, the 49ers’ new halfback took the lead Saturday.

Taylor had more yards and carries than anyone in San Francisco’s 31-24 win over Denver.

His 10 carries for 47 yards included a 24-yard dash in the fourth quarter.

As for the receiving corps, rookie Demarcus Robinson caught his first NFL pass on Saturday. Chiefs’ quarterback Nick Foles delivered the 15-yard strike over the middle to Robinson halfway through the third quarter.

Veterans

The Vikings, Bengals and Redskins are also dusting off some seasoned Gators vets in preparation for the regular season.

Veteran defensive end Justin Trattou already has 2.5 sacks through two weeks, second most in the preseason.

Meanwhile, fellow Vikings lineman Sharrif Floyd has yet to play in the preseason because of a knee injury, according to CBS Sports.

Bengals' defensive end Carlos Dunlap has a sack and a forced fumble to his name so far this preseason. Last year Dunlap finished fourth in the league with 13.5 sacks.

In Washington, Matt Jones — who is entering his second season in the NFL — looked to play a significant role in the Redskins’ ground game after he totaled seven carries for a game-high 31 yards in the Redskins’ 22-18 win over the Jets on Friday. But, according to the Washington Post, Jones will miss the remainder of the preseason after he suffered a shoulder injury later in the game.

Jones’ teammate, star tight end Jordan Reed, has missed both preseason games so far with a sprained thumb, according to CBS Sports, but may get some reps in Friday’s matchup with Buffalo.

No luck for Neal

Two Gators were also on the wrong end of preseason news this week.

Rookie safety Keanu Neal, a first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons, was roasted on Twitter for letting Cleveland tight end Gary Barnidge score on a 29-yard pass from Robert Griffin III. Fans lambasted Neal for slipping on the play, tweeting glasses emojis and saying Neal’s first endorsement should be for petroleum jelly. The Falcons came from behind to beat Cleveland 24-13.

Dante Fowler Jr. was asked to leave a joint practice between the Jaguars and Buccaneers on Thursday because of a skirmish between the Jacksonville defensive end and Tampa Bay guard Ali Marpet, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Fowler will look to make up for the rookie season he missed last year after tearing his ACL in training camp.

Contact Matt Brannon at mbrannon@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @mattb_727.