• November 21, 2014

Gators defensive tackle Orr arrested on marijuana-related charges

Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:18 pm | Updated: 2:29 am, Fri Jan 20, 2012.

Florida sophomore defensive tackle Leon Orr was served with a notice to appear on two marijuana-related charges during the first week of Spring semester, according to a University Police Department report.

The arrest report describes a scene on the night of Jan. 10 in which UPD officer Bradley Roberts searched Orr’s dorm room in building eight of Keys Complex about a half hour before midnight. During the search, which Orr consented to, Roberts found a “baggy of a green leafy substance, a glass pipe and rolling papers” on Orr’s desk and bedside table.

The substance was tested and confirmed to be marijuana. After being read his rights, Orr admitted to ownership of the marijuana, pipe and papers, according to the report.

There was no information in the report indicating why police were alerted to Orr’s dorm room.

He is being charged with possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia, both misdemeanors. Orr’s court date is set for Feb. 8 at 9 a.m.

“Coach (Will Muschamp) is aware of the incident and has handled the matter,” team spokesman Dan Apple said.

Orr is the ninth arrest, and eighth player arrested, since Will Muschamp took over for Urban Meyer as Gators head coach. Six of those arrests have been for marijuana.

Of the eight arrested, three players — cornerback Janoris Jenkins (marijuana), Chris Martin (marijuana) and Dee Finley (driving with a suspended license, resisting arrest) — are no longer with the team. Jenkins was dismissed in April, Martin transferred in June and Finley transferred in October.

A redshirt freshman last season, Orr registered 10 tackles and a sack. Originally from the Clearwater area, he was rated the No. 11 defensive tackle in the nation by Rivals.com.

Thursday night, Orr posted a message on his Twitter account (@MrLrgJack_44) that read: “At the end of the day a mistake was made, and I’ve learned from it.”

The background photo for Orr’s Twitter page showed him wearing a backward hat, sunglasses and a T-shirt with a design that includes a marijuana leaf.

Contact Matt Watts at mwatts@alligator.org.

1 comment:

• Chingatch posted at 2:29 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

Chingatch Posts: 1

In other news...

http://www.alligator.org/opinion/editorials/article_ffe61da4-470a-11e1-b4f0-0019bb2963f4.html#user-comment-area

"Ron Paul is the only candidate for president, including President Barack Obama, who has questioned the effectiveness of the war on drugs. While some have painted Paul as an advocate for drug use, his opposition comes from two main factors. First, he believes the government does not have the right to tell us what we can and cannot put into our own bodies. Second, he believes drug prohibition has perpetuated the spread of drugs and the crime associated with it, similar to the prohibition of the 1920s. It is not "soft on crime" to look at the causes of many criminal actions."

Loading…