Florida defense focusing on creating havoc with pass rush

<p>UF football coach Jim McElwain speaks during UF Media Day on Aug. 5 at Touchdown Terrace in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF football coach Jim McElwain speaks during UF Media Day on Aug. 5 at Touchdown Terrace in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The vaunted Florida secondary is known across the country as arguably the most talented defensive backfield in the country.

However, another area of UF’s defense – the pass rush – is in the process of a complete overhaul.

Florida coach Jim McElwain said Tuesday the key for the defensive linemen and blitzing linebackers is to create pressure up front to force the opponent’s offense into critical turnovers.

“We need to be able to pressure the passer, obviously,” McElwain said. “We need to create havoc up front, and the key there is to create negative plays for the offense.”

Last season, led by former Florida standout Dante Fowler, Jr. with 8.5, the Gators combined for 30 sacks while allowing just 16.

The loss of Fowler combined with an inexperienced offensive line could result in Florida taking more sacks than the team dishes out.

But McElwain said he’s been impressed with the way the freshmen offensive linemen, specifically highly regarded Apopka native Martez Ivey, have progressed in their transition to the college game.

“I’m real proud of those young offensive linemen, just the way they’ve come in,” McElwain said. “They don’t look out of place. They’re grasping it, they’re playing hard.”

Ivey gaining experience: Martez Ivey arrived in Gainesville as the most heralded freshman offensive lineman in the country. McElwain said Ivey doesn’t look like a freshman due to the way he carries himself in the locker room and on the field.

“He’s done a really good job,” McElwain said. “He’s a guy obviously that you don’t think of him really as a freshman right now, just the way he’s playing. We kind of thought that when we recruited him. Sure enough that’s kind of how it’s been.”

However, Ivey isn’t the only freshman offensive lineman who has been impressive in Fall camp.

Redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Caleb Brantley said two freshmen aside from Ivey have impressed him.

“I like Tyler Jordan and T.J. McCoy a lot,” Brantley said. “I think they’re going to be really good inside-wise.

What about Tyler Jordan impresses me is that he wants to get better every day. He doesn’t come to the locker room and complain about practice. He comes in and he’s ready to learn because he wants to play. He’s very coachable."

Brantley said he’s impressed by McCoy’s “effort” and the freshmen will only continue to improve by facing the teams “nasty” defensive line in practice.

Neal recovering: Junior safety Keanu Neal went down in Friday’s scrimmage with a leg injury that hasn’t healed to the level McElwain is satisfied with.

While the coach was typically vague when asked about Neal’s progress, McElwain said the Gators have asked senior Brian Poole to step up as a backup safety with the unit’s depth in question.

“Poole I guess as a freshman played back there a little bit as a backup safety,” McElwain said. “At the safety spot, we just felt, especially with as much spread stuff as we’re going to see. We’re going to have to play a lot more defensive backs probably, especially in the first couple games just looking at what we’re going to face.”

The Gators are appreciative of having a player like Poole who can play multiple positions in the secondary. Sophomore safety Duke Dawson said Poole is one of the leaders in the secondary due to his experience and knowledge.

“Poole knows a lot about the defense because this is his fourth year,” Dawson said.

The Cross City native added he’s prepared to step up due to Neal’s injury and redshirt junior Marcus Maye’s one-game suspension.

“It’s a big role,” Dawson said. “I know those two guys are great players. I learned from those two. Coming from corner to safety, they really took me in, so I really appreciate the things that those guys have done.”

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311