<p>Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson (5) sprints into the end zone during the Blue Gold spring NCAA college football game, Saturday April 18, 2015 in South Bend, Indiana.</p>

Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson (5) sprints into the end zone during the Blue Gold spring NCAA college football game, Saturday April 18, 2015 in South Bend, Indiana.

Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson visited Florida on Tuesday per multiple reports.

Golson, who is looking to transfer to another Division I program after falling behind Malik Zaire on the depth chart at Notre Dame, took a visit to Gainesville one day after visiting Florida State.

Golson would be eligible to play immediately since he would transfer as a graduate student. Golson started 25 games for the Irish including leading the team to a 12-1 record in 2012 and the BCS National Championship game against Alabama.

He was suspended the entire 2013 season after an academic scandal at Notre Dame. Golson returned in 2014 and throw for 3,445 yards, 29 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

Golson would need to receive a waiver from the Southeastern Conference to transfer into the conference because of his suspension in 2013.

Should he land at Florida, Golson would provide the Gators experience at the quarterback position which is sorely lacking. Will Grier and Treon Harris entered Spring practice as the two favorites to land the starting job, but after the Spring game, coach Jim McElwain didn’t name either one the starter.

Grier didn’t appear in any games last season as he was redshirted and Harris started the final six games last year leading the Gators to a 4-2 record.

Neither quarterback was overly impressive in the Spring game, so the potential addition of Golson to the program would be a major upgrade.

Coach Jim McElwain has been open to the idea of bringing in potential transfers from outside the program once Spring practice ended.

Golson would have to adjust to McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier’s pro-style offense since he played in more of a spread offense at Notre Dame. But should he land at Florida, Golson would provide much needed experience under center.

Golson isn't the most perfect quarterback either. He struggled last season with turnover problems that led to him splitting reps with Zaire in Notre Dame’s bowl game.

And with Florida’s offensive line being banged up all Spring, turnovers could still be a problem for him if does indeed play for the Gators.

Golson landing at Florida would also be a little coup for Florida since they would pry him away from the Seminoles who are also looking for a potential starting quarterback.  

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII