<p>Wide receiver Alvin Bailey catches a pass during Spring practice on April 6 while wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon looks on at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.</p>

Wide receiver Alvin Bailey catches a pass during Spring practice on April 6 while wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon looks on at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.

Florida coach Jim McElwain has a mantra similar to Patches O’Houlihan’s iconic "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" line from the 2004 movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story: If you can catch a ball in practice, you can catch a ball in a game.

"There’s no reason to me you should ever drop a ball," McElwain said.

"I don’t know if sometimes the receiver’s so shocked the ball’s gotten to him or something, I don’t know, but then they react like they’ve never done it before."

If quarterbacks Will Grier and Treon Harris, one of whom figures to become the starting quarterback at some point, hope to have any success, the Gators will need a wide receiver to earn the trust of the coaching staff and the quarterback.

The fact of the matter is Florida hasn’t had a dominant wide receiver since Percy Harvin in 2008.

However, the blame can’t solely be placed on the receivers: UF has seen seven wide receivers coaches come and go in as many seasons.

Now, with coach Kerry Dixon placed in charge of developing Florida’s talent, the receivers aren’t just working on running routes and perfecting footwork.

McElwain and Dixon are driving home the importance of playing confidently and taking accountability for their personal development.

"At the end of the day, these guys have the talent to do it. You talk about believing in yourself," McElwain said.

"Part of it is a responsibility to prepare to handle the details of the position. I don’t know that they’ve been asked to do that consistently."

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Alvin Bailey said the coaches, specifically offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, have made it easier for the receivers to learn their role in the offense.

"Everything is laid out. If you don’t know it, then this offense isn’t for you," Bailey said.

"Coach Nuss makes it simple for every receiver to understand what they have to do on the play and everyone knows each assignment on film."

When asked if he was able to better understand the offense due to improved coaching, Bailey simply answered "definitely."

"Part of it is a responsibility to prepare to handle the details of the position," McElwain said. "We've got some (wide receivers) who can play, no doubt."

Rather than encouraging a group mentality, the coaches have made sure the receivers feel like important individuals and critical to the offense.

With a newfound sense of confidence and worth, it’s up to playmakers like Bailey to display the talent that earned them a scholarship to Florida in the first place.

"Coach Nuss and Coach Mac, they sat us down, talking to the receiver group and said that they need players to step up," Bailey said.

"I think I’ve done that this camp."

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311