Florida football hires new defensive backs coach

<p>UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.&nbsp;</p>

UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray. 

After finishing the 2016 recruiting cycle without a defensive backs coach, Florida found its man less than 24 hours after National Signing Day.

After resigning from the Hokies, Virginia Tech defensive backs coach Torrian Gray will take the same position with the Gators, Florida announced on Thursday.

Gray was hired at Virginia Tech in 2006. Over 10 seasons, he oversaw a secondary that earned eight top-15 national finishes in opponent passer rating.

"I can’t thank (VT) coach Justin Fuente enough for offering to do more to encourage me to stay, but Florida was one of the opportunities that would make me even consider leaving Virginia Tech," Gray said in a release.

UF coach Jim McElwain addressed the Gators’ lack of a defensive backs coach on National Signing Day on Wednesday, adding that the position would be filled shortly.

"I think we’re down the road on that," McElwain said. "Obviously, it goes back to something I believe in. I’m not going to ruin anybody’s (day). This is something we’re ready to do. It will happen."

Gray will take over for Kirk Callahan, who parted ways with the Gators on Jan. 15.

"We’re excited to have Torrian join the Gator family," McElwain said in a release.

Contact Luis Torres at ltorres@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @LFTorresIII.

UF defensive backs coach Torrian Gray.