Urban Meyer wasted no time in showing his support for Cam Newton on Wednesday.

Just one day after sending out a press release to dismiss the notion that he leaked Newton’s UF academic records, which sparked reports of three academic cheating violations during the Auburn quarterback’s two-year stay in Gainesville, Meyer went one step further.

“I addressed recent news stories yesterday that our SID made me aware of in the early afternoon,” Meyer said in the opening statement of his SEC teleconference interview Wednesday. 

“Those stories have absolutely nothing to do with our team, our preparation for South Carolina. Our entire focus is, and always will be, on our team. I will say, however, that I was very supportive of Cam when he left here, and Cam and his family know this. We wish him all the best.”

However, it was not Meyer’s decision to release the statement Tuesday. In fact, he claims he was unaware of the story while it was developing because of meetings.

“My SID thought it was important,” he said. “I had no idea what was going on. Obviously, we were locked in meetings all day. Whatever they tell me to do, I’ll do.”

Meyer shows respect for Spurrier: Even though Meyer has already coached the Gators to more national titles than Steve Spurrier did in 12 seasons, he knows it will be hard for him to match Spurrier’s legacy at UF.

"He is Florida,'' Meyer said. "He was a Heisman Trophy winner here and there's never been any attempt whatsoever to change that. All of this place, and we built it (the new facility), are great reminders of what (he's done). He's a Hall of Fame coach and player and he's a good guy. So there's no issues whatsoever.''

Meyer went on to say that he has become friends with Spurrier over the past few years and pointed to the current South Carolina coach as the reason he came to Florida.

Drop-back passers welcome: Even though John Brantley has struggled in Meyer’s offensive system this season, it doesn’t mean UF won’t recruit drop-back passers in the future.

Instead of blaming Brantley’s struggles on the system, Meyer said the lack of a “pound-it running back” and a “stout, experienced tight end” as part of the reason for the signal-caller’s problems this year.

“We are going to continue to recruit the best players we can get our hands on and adapt to that,” Meyer said. “To say we are never going to recruit a drop-back quarterback, that would be incorrect.”