Notebook: Injured offensive lineman to serve as student assistant

<p>Florida football coach Jim McElwain speaks to media members during a press conference on March 10 in the Southeast End Zone meeting room at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

Florida football coach Jim McElwain speaks to media members during a press conference on March 10 in the Southeast End Zone meeting room at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Rod Johnson’s football career is over.

UF doctors diagnosed the offensive lineman with congenital cervical stenosis, or narrowing of the spinal column that prevents enough fluid to gather around the spinal cord to protect it from further injury.

But where one door closes, another one opens up.

Coach Jim McElwain said that Johnson will be staying on the football team serving as a student assistant.

"It was one of those deals that we wanted to make sure that we got as many opinions as possible to make sure," McElwain said. "He’ll be a huge part of this program, this football team.

"I look forward to him being a great influence on these young guys that are coming in."

Johnson played in 12 games as a Gator, with three starts.

More injury woes: Johnson isn’t the only offensive lineman who is dealing with an injury. David Sharpe underwent surgery on his eye on Monday. Sharpe is expected to anchor the line when he comes back, as McElwain called him the "vet" of the group.

Antonio Riles also underwent previously scheduled surgery on a hernia.

"I think the big part is about the guys who already had their surgery and where their rehab goes," McElwain said. "This will be a huge summer to see where they’re at."

Other than the injuries along the offensive line, McElwain mentioned that the team came out pretty healthy in the Spring.

Spring game review: McElwain and his staff reviewed the tape from the Orange & Blue Debut and they liked how clean the game was. There were virtually no penalties from either side, which is a good sign for Florida as they were 98th in the nation last season averaging 6.7 penalties per game.

"I think we made some progress that way, and yet it gives us a lot to go through as we move forward into the summer," McElwain said. "Right now we’re in the middle of meeting with each and every player, and talking to them about things moving forward."

After 15 practices of installing a new offensive and defensive scheme and players adjusting to the coaching staff, McElwain was pleased with how the Spring came out.

"There were some really good things. It happened too fast," McElwain said. "Kind of wish we had another 15 left, but that’s the way it goes. We’ll go from there."

Potential transfers: As is the case with a lot of teams finishing Spring football with a new coach, the opportunity arises for some players to either come into a program, or leave the program.

At Florida, it’s no different.

There will be some players who aren’t satisfied with the new scheme that McElwain and his staff have brought in, so they might be looking to jump ship.

"I haven’t met with each and every guy yet," McElwain said. "I’m sure that there are some guys that will be looking. … I’m not pushing anybody out the door. We want them all here. They’re all Gators. ... We’ll see when the time comes. Right now we haven’t had any indications of anybody. I sure hope they all stay."

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII