<p>Quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson hasn't been shy about his thoughts on Feleipe Franks. <span id="docs-internal-guid-8a7b1852-755a-053b-4109-141c8d5fe989"><span>“We give (Franks) a lot of responsibility,” Johnson said. </span></span> </p>

Quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson hasn't been shy about his thoughts on Feleipe Franks. “We give (Franks) a lot of responsibility,” Johnson said.  

He did it last season in front of almost 90,000 fans, sending Ben Hill Griffin Stadium into a frenzy as he hurled a game-winning 63-yard touchdown to beat Tennessee.

And after just a handful of practices this spring, Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks did it again.

“He made a throw, and I remember I just looked over at (head coach Dan Mullen),” quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson said earlier this week. “We kind of both just looked at each other and shook our heads.”

It was the first week of spring practices, and Franks found himself in a situation where he needed to scramble across the field before throwing to an open receiver. Johnson said the pass reminded him of Franks’ game-winning bomb to Tyrie Cleveland that elevated the Gators over the Volunteers last fall.

Franks’ arm strength has never been a concern. His new coaching staff has complete faith in his ability to throw downfield. But his decision-making while under pressure was an issue in 2017. Head-scratching interceptions and poor game management from Franks played a large role in last season’s inconsistency at the starting quarterback position.

Neither Johnson nor Mullen have given any indication who they plan to start under center come September. But a lot of attention surrounds the 6-foot-5 redshirt sophomore who started eight of 11 games last year. Franks ended the season with 1,438 passing yards, nine touchdowns and eight interceptions. He is the only quarterback on UF’s roster with game experience at the collegiate level.

So far this spring, Franks has dedicated himself to learning about his game on the field with his time off the field, and he has impressed his coaches in doing so.

“He has come in and studied,” Johnson said. “He has done a good job of coming in and taking it from the class to the grass.”

In last weekend’s open scrimmage, however, Franks reminded fans and media in attendance that no amount of film can prevent occasional slip-ups after he threw an interception straight to the hands of starting cornerback Marco Wilson.

“That’s what practice is for,” Johnson said. “We’re firm believers that experience is life’s best teacher.”

Johnson will continue to give Franks opportunities to learn. Whether he’s on the line of scrimmage or in the meeting rooms, Franks is expected to perform at a high level.

“We give (Franks) a lot of responsibility,” Johnson said. “He has got to come in and put the work in.”

Follow Benjamin Brandt on Twitter @bhb1227 and contact him at bbrandt@alligator.org.