Florida soccer defeats Georgia in first home match since August

<p>Savannah Jordan dribbles the ball during UF's 2-1 win against UGA.</p>

Savannah Jordan dribbles the ball during UF's 2-1 win against UGA.

It wasn’t the prettiest of games, but all Florida cares about is the result.

No. 7 UF (7-2, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) defeated No. 22 UGA (6-2-1, 1-1-1 SEC) Friday night 2-1 in the Gators’ first home game since Aug. 24.

With the victory, Florida’s extended its win streak to three games.

This win, however, did not come as easily as others have this season.

Georgia’s forwards pressed Florida’s defense hard from the first whistle and never let up. It gave the Gators a problem that they were not expecting and that they had not experienced much before Friday night.

“Just like we’ve seen a couple of times this year, the scouting report that we have on teams doesn’t match up what they do,” coach Becky Burleigh said. “I think a lot of teams are kind of game planning for us.”

For Florida, it was sophomore Brooke Sharp scored got the first goal of the game — her third of the season — in the 24th minute off of an assist from senior Lauren Silver.

Friday was Sharp’s first start of the year and second of her career.

Georgia answered quickly with a goal of its own from sophomore Marion Crowder in the 28th minute, her sixth of the season, to even the score at one goal apiece.

A beautiful play by sophomore Savannah Jordan led to Florida’s second goal in the 72nd minute. Jordan controlled the pass in from junior Claire Falknor, chipped the ball around Georgia goalkeeper Louise Hogrell and easily tapped in her sixth goal of the season.

“I saw the goalkeeper come out, so I took a touch around her, fell a little bit and then finished a good goal,” Jordan said. “Claire played a great ball to me.”

The play of Florida’s senior goalkeeper Taylor Burke was a big reason why Florida and Georgia went into halftime tied, and why the Gators gave up only one goal the entire game.

Burke had six saves in the first half, and she earned every one of them. Georgia outshot Florida 9-3 in the first half and 12-10 in the game.

“It was definitely a busy night,” Burke said. “Georgia’s obviously a really good team, so I had a lot of action in the first half.”

Friday’s game was Florida’s first home SEC match of the season, and it proved to be one of the more difficult victories for the Gators. Burleigh was pleased with how her team reacted to the play of Georgia and finished with a win.

“It feels good, I mean especially to be at home,” Burleigh said. “For us to come out of that with a win was really important.”

Follow Alex Maminakis on Twitter @alexmaminakis