<p>Senior forward Lindsay Thompson is one of 12 returning regulars from a 2010 team that won the SEC Tournament Championship.</p>

Senior forward Lindsay Thompson is one of 12 returning regulars from a 2010 team that won the SEC Tournament Championship.

With an opening draw against Miami looming just 15 days away, Florida soccer became the first team on campus Wednesday to hit the practice pitch.

“The first day of preseason for us is always like Christmas,” UF coach Becky Burleigh said. “It’s been a long time since we’ve played organized soccer, and we’re just excited to be back.”

Since the team’s disappointing loss to Duke in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Burleigh said her players have busied themselves with international and club play before coming back for Summer B workouts. In late June, junior Erika Tymrak notably competed for the U.S. U-23 team in a tournament in Sweden

“It’s important that the players make a commitment in the summer to get back in shape, so we can spend more time on soccer and a lot less time on fitness,” Burleigh said.

The Gators return 12 playing-time regulars and over 88 percent of their total points production from last year’s three-loss team.

Senior Lindsay Thompson — who had 20 points (eight goals, four assists) last season — said a big part of the offseason was welcoming the team’s 13 freshmen players, which make up almost half of UF’s roster. Thompson said nearly all of the team’s new members made it out to summer workouts.

“We were able to get them acclimated and introduce them to everyone,” Thompson said. “We went through some situations where we showed them how our formation works, so they’re pretty educated right now. Not like someone who’d just be coming in.”

The new talent will be put to the test early this season, as UF steps on the road in eight of its first 11 games.

Florida’s first home game isn’t until Sept. 2 against Texas Tech.