Florida swimming and diving defeats Auburn on Senior Day

For Florida's swimming and diving teams, Saturday's meet with Auburn was special.

Not only did the Gators pick up a win against a Southeastern Conference opponent, but the team also held its annual Senior Day. The swimming and diving program honorably recognized its seniors with introductions before the contest took place.

Fans packed the seats and energy was high in the O'Connell Center Natatorium for the senior sendoff.

"It was a good intense competition," senior Teresa Crippen said. "It was our last home event, and I was very excited about it."

Of this senior class, which includes three female All-Americans and one male All-American, Crippen stands out as the team's most decorated senior with 11 All-American and eight All-SEC Team selections.

"I'm not sad to see it go, because I spent my time here so well," Crippen said. "All the little things that you don't see, like when people pat me on the back and tell me I did a good job, have been the highlight of my career."

Crippen had a first-place finish in the 200 meter butterfly, and finished second to sophomore teammate Elizabeth Beisel in the 200 meter backstroke and 200 meter individual medley.

"Whether I'm first or second doesn't matter to me," Crippen said. "As long as it's a Gator cap touching the wall first, then I'm happy."

The No. 9 Florida women easily defeated No. 7 Auburn 162-136, while the No. 13 Gators men held off a late charge by the No. 7 Tigers to win 153-147.

Freshman Carlos Omara had a strong day for the Gators with a first-place finish in both the 400 and 800 meter freestyles.

"We push each other every day," Omara said. "We're always improving on the little things and just keeping ourselves busy as best we can."

Coach Gregg Troy said he was satisfied with the victory, but also mentioned that his team could have done even better.

"We weren't exactly where we wanted to be, but the team had a lot of good performances," Troy said. "That's why it's always good to have a team like Auburn come in; they always provide good competition."

Troy said he would like to give the team a little rest before it resumes competition next weekend in Knoxville against Tennessee.