<p>Freshman Josie Kuhlman (pictured) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Singles competition Wednesday. Out of five Gators who competed, she and sophomore Belinda Woolcock were the only two to advance.</p>

Freshman Josie Kuhlman (pictured) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Singles competition Wednesday. Out of five Gators who competed, she and sophomore Belinda Woolcock were the only two to advance.

The Florida women’s tennis team had five individuals compete on Wednesday in the first round of the NCAA Singles competition at the Hurd Tennis Center of Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

But once the first round finished, only two — freshman Josie Kuhlman and sophomore Belinda Woolcock — advanced.

Following a slight rain delay, No. 56-ranked Kourtney Keegan battled with UNC’s No. 20-ranked Caroline Price in Keegan’s first appearance at the NCAA Singles competition. But Price quickly overpowered Keegan, taking the first set, 6-1. Despite winning three games in the second set, Keegan eventually fell 6-3 to seal the loss.

Following Keegan, No. 28-ranked Brianna Morgan took the court to face No. 57-ranked Madison Westby from Southern California. Westby jumped all over Morgan in the first set, handedly winning 6-0, but Morgan wasn’t done yet.

The junior took the second set, 6-3, to force a third and final set.

In the end, Westby proved to be too much for Morgan, winning the decisive set, 6-3, and sending Morgan back to Gainesville.

After two Gators failed to advance, Woolcock stepped onto the court hoping to get the victory that her teammates couldn’t snag.

The No. 58-ranked sophomore came out hot against ninth-ranked Lorraine Guillermo from Pepperdine, taking the first set, 6-2.

Woolcock, an alternate in the 64-player field, didn’t let her intensity wane and coolly delivered under pressure, sealing the match with a 6-3 victory in the second set.

Up next was No. 13-ranked Kuhlman battling No. 35-ranked Kyle McPhillips. Kuhlman battled with her opponent and took the first set, 6-4.

McPhillips had no response in the second set as Kuhlman won, 6-1, sending the freshman through to the second round.

As the day drew to a close, No. 3-ranked Brooke Austin battled with No. 47-ranked Jennifer Brady from UCLA in Florida’s final matchup of the first round.

Austin and Brady went back and forth in the first set before Brady pulled out the victory, 7-6. Austin battled back in the second game, winning the first two games of the second set, but Brady made sure to turn it around and take the match in straight sets with 6-3 second set victory.

As Kuhlman and Woolcock prepare for their second round matchups, the No. 6-ranked doubles pair of Austin and Keegan will take on the No. 27-ranked pair of Shayne Austin and Briar Preston from Arizona in the NCAA Doubles competition.

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311