He showed up in Miami with $25 in his pocket. He paid for a hostel, a $5 dinner, and with nothing left in his pockets, he searched for a job. That night, Jake Kaida made $100.

For 12 years Kaida lived a nomadic lifestyle, traveling and working while writing his experiences. His travels have been wrapped up in a book of 14 essays called "Blue Collar Nomad: The Literary Reflections of a Grassroots Pilgrim." Now, Kaida is returning to Gainesville, one of his many homes over the years.

The author will read parts of his essays and have a book signing during a free event held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Headquarters Branch Library in downtown Gainesville, 401 E University Ave.

"A nomad travels seasonally and usually for work," he said.

He planned to travel this way for one year in 1998, but he liked it so much he did it for 12 years, ending his journey in 2010. He traveled through all 48 contiguous states, crisscrossed the U.S. eight times and lived in Canada for three years in total. His book was published last October.

When he traveled he said he would work in all different types of jobs. He would stay in a city for two-to-five months, working in bars, the music industry or restaurants. He said he even lived on a farm in British Columbia, Canada, and worked at an inn in Maine. He said the people were his best education.

In 1999, he stopped in Gainesville. He worked at Simons, which he said was the most popular nightclub in America in 1999, Soul House Bar and The Covered Dish.

Kaida said his experience was positive. In his 12 years, he was never robbed. No matter how much money he had or where he stayed, he said it "always worked out."

He carried a backpack and a rucksack. He had two high-quality pairs of jeans, a thermal, a rain poncho and hat, socks, a good pair of shoes and a fleece.

"And always, always, journals and pens," he said.

He wrote during the entire process; the book is a compilation of all 12 years. The genre, he said, is creative non-fiction narrative travel. And as for the 14 essays, he said, "I felt they fit together to create a cohesive journey."

There’s another aspect to his writing, however. A CD, titled "Wandering," can be purchased with the book, a collection of instrumental songs by Matthew Tavis Johnson. Only one song on the CD has lyrics, and Kaida read over the music when the two did a 10-day tour.

He emphasized the interpersonal relationships he formed with people he met. Even the marginalized, the seemingly outcast from society, those were the ones he learned from and connected with. He said he hopes his readers gain a different kind of perspective on how place of location can create subcultures, and how these can make people feel connected or alienated.

Kaida began his journey alone, without his family’s blessing. He said it was difficult for them to understand what he was doing, but he said he liked being away from home.

It’s been five years since he settled down, though Kaida politely declined to comment on his current relationship status.

"There’s a time for everything," he said. He said he wanted to try something different after so long, which for him would be to settle down. So now, he gardens a lot, he said.

He still travels, though. And now, he said he can get his focus more on getting his work published.

Kaida is one of more than 12 authors and speakers who has come to speak at the library district this year. Joyce West, the public services administrator for the Alachua County Library District, said bringing in a speaker can cost virtually nothing to $3,500, depending on both who the speaker is and if Friends of the Library helps with sponsorships. Kaida will be paid for speaking Saturday, but the exact amount is unknown.

Nickie Kortus, the marketing and public relations manager for ACLD, said 25 to 300 people can show up for a speaker or author, depending on who comes to the city.

"You have the opportunity to meet and talk and have your own questions answered by these authors," she said, which is why these events are so exciting.

She said Kaida will be in a smaller room, which is more of an intimate setting with his audience. They will have the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with him and buy a book or CD. His own publisher will provide them, where usually Books-A-Million partners with the library to provide the books.

"I would never change anything about my journey or about my life," Kaida said. "I think it was perfect for me. It taught me everything that I needed to know."