ButterflyFest offers educational fun for children and adults

Pink paper wings with glitter spots and hot pink, pipe cleaner antennae rounded out Isabella Gomes' butterfly costume.

Isabella, 6, was one of many children to attend the Florida Museum of Natural History's second-annual ButterflyFest held on Saturday and Sunday.

More than 6,000 people were expected to attend the weekend-long event.

Every hour about 20 monarch butterflies were released. All were tagged to follow their migration patterns to Mexico.

Vendors, many who had little relation to butterflies, were selling their wares, including plants, jewelry, wall art and pottery.

The children's event tent was the center of most of the activity. About 40 children colored with great concentration in order to create the perfect butterfly flag.

Amy Brote, a volunteer at the event, is 50, but that didn't stop her from dressing up for the event.

Brote walked around in her butterfly costume handing out information cards, which listed the six ways to help protect and feed pollinators.

"We're just trying to get children interested in saving the environment and the animals in it," Brote said.