Circus featuring 'Globe of Death' to visit Oaks Mall

With pastel poodles and a "Globe of Death" in tow, Cole Bros. Circus will move its Big Top into Gainesville on Wednesday.

Shows will take place at The Oaks Mall on Wednesday and Thursday at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Renee Storey, vice president of administration for the circus, said Cole Bros. Circus is known for having the longest continuous history of any circus in the U.S. and was established in 1886.

Storey said Cole Bros. Circus staff and performers, who have come from all over the world, have created a tight-knit family.

She said their office manager is from the Ukraine and used to perform in a flying trapeze group.

The office manager is also the flying cannonball at the circus performance, Storey said.

Some of the ticket takers also juggle on horseback, she said.

Most of the employees have two to three jobs, she said.

"You're almost sure to find that they come from someplace interesting, and they do something really fascinating and sometimes dangerous," Storey said.

The most popular circus act of the year has been the "ThunderDrome: The Moto-Globe of Death," Storey said.

"In our performance, the 'Globe of Death' opens the show," she said. "The kids just love it because it's got motorcycle riders."

Two motorcyclists ride around in a giant globe and do daredevil tricks.

People are encouraged to come out Wednesday while the circus is propping up the tent, she said.

"I hope they have the opportunity to speak with some of our performers," Storey said.

Their season, which began in March, had scheduled stops in Louisiana, New York City and Washington, D.C.

The most recent performances have been in Tallahassee. Storey said she thinks that the circus is a great way for college students to unwind and take a break from their studies.

"It's perfectly OK to be a kid," she said. "There are not too many places like that left."

When purchased in advance, general admission tickets are ,12. Adult prices, for ages 13 and up, go up to ,17 on site.

Free children's tickets can also be found on the circus' Web site.