After two days of commission meetings, protests and deliberation, the City Commission did not reach a decision by press time Tuesday night on whether to approve the creation of Hatchet Creek Development. The meeting started at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

The development, which would be built at 2100 NE 39th St. surrounding the Ironwood Golf Course, has been the source of controversy among the developers, the Gainesville Regional Airport and the residents of East Gainesville.

But airport officials said part of the development is too close to their facility.

East Gainesville residents have supported the development and said it will enhance business in the underdeveloped area of town.

Some commissioners say they do not feel the development would be as important to East Gainesville as the residents do.

"This is not going to solve all of East Gainesville's problems," said Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa. "It might solve some of them, but it's not going to solve all of them."

The commission questioned the ability of the developers to preserve the city's environmental interests in the area and lessen the noise level.

Commissioners also questioned why the airport, which says about 359 acres of the land lies in the airport's noise zone, had not objected to other developments nearby.

Commissioner Craig Lowe said the development does not fall within the parameters to technically be considered East Gainesville.

But he said he feels that between it and the new Wal-Mart being built on the east side of town, hopefully more developers would be more inclined to build in the area.

"I hope the areas of town that have been neglected will not continue to be neglected," Lowe said.

The airport presented its case to the commission Tuesday afternoon, citing the noise levels from the planes as far too loud to build a development.

Linda Shelley, a consultant from Tallahassee representing the developer, said part of the problem with the "noise contours" - the high level of noise created by the planes flying over - is the maps have not been updated.

"It's likely you would withdraw that noise contour if those maps were updated," Shelley said.