Enrollment in UF language courses rises

While numbers of UF international students and study-abroad participants are on the upswing, many students are also opting to learn foreign languages from the comfort of Gainesville.

Enrollment in UF's language courses is on the rise, following national trends of booming Spanish classes and fast-growing interest in learning Arabic and Chinese, said Dennis Jett, director of UF's International Center.

He said the growing interest in Arabic began after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Students want to be able to understand the changing world they live in, he said.

Enrollment in Arabic classes nationwide has more than doubled from 2002 to 2006, according to the latest findings from the Modern Language Association of America.

The findings state that Arabic has, for the first time, jumped into the top-10 list of the most popular languages.

"Almost all the language courses have benefited somewhat in recent years as people understand the importance of having an international experience," Jett said.

Over time, some courses, such as French and German, may have had reduced enrollment, Jett said, but he's still pleased with students' overall international interest.

"I wish I'd done it when I was young," UF Provost Janie Fouke said about learning a foreign language. "I think it's one of the biggest gifts."

Fouke said she thinks too many students are only focused on taking the classes they need to graduate and get a job right away.

Instead, they should try to learn a new language and become a "multi-dimensional" person, she said.

Many UF colleges don't even have foreign language requirements, she said.

But she said she didn't think those requirements would change anytime soon. If students want to take language classes, they're able to, Fouke added.