JACKSONVILLE - UF forward Marshae Dotson knew it was a mistake the moment she heard the whistle.

The junior had just picked up her fourth foul hedging out on a screen far away from the basket. She was forced to watch the next 3:40 from the bench while Jacksonville went on an 8-0 second-half run. The Dolphins took a lead they would not relinquish as UF (4-3) fell 75-64 Wednesday night.

In a game that featured 22 lead changes, UF coach Amanda Butler said Jacksonville just wanted it more.

"I don't think Marshae coming off the floor had anything to do with the way we closed out the ballgame," Butler said. "The way we closed out the game had everything to do with Jacksonville and how passionate they were with beating us."

Dotson scored 12 of her 18 points in the first half, including the team's first 4 points, and entered halftime with only one foul.

She said the plan going into the game was to pound it into the paint but also look for shooters on the perimeter.

UF's high-post player tried to feed the ball into the low post, but Jacksonville did everything it could to thwart the effort by fronting the Gators all night.

The Dolphins successfully frustrated the Gators, who began to force bad passes. UF ended up with 11 assists to 28 turnovers, a total tied for the second-highest of the season.

As far as kicking it out to the perimeter, UF shot 0 for 11 from behind the arc, going without a 3-point field goal for the first time in 216 games.

UF also lost the rebounding battle for the first time this season (33-30), and the Gators never led by more than 3 points.

The Dolphins, on the other hand, were able to come up with a big shot whenever they needed one.

It's hard to declare the outcome an upset, considering Jacksonville has already notched victories at Miami and against Massachusetts on a neutral floor. It was, however, the first time Jacksonville has defeated a Southeastern Conference opponent.

With Wednesday night's outcome, the Dolphins extended a school-record 13-game winning streak.

"Jacksonville wanted to win more than we did," Butler said. "They were willing to do whatever it took to make that happen. We showed spurts of that, but when things got tough they simply outplayed us at crucial moments."