Ingram, Harvey face tough decision — stay or go?

It's hard to believe, but roommates Cornelius Ingram and Derrick Harvey claim they never talk about the NFL Draft.

Not at Wendy?s, McDonald?s, Checkers nor the movie theater, all places the odd couple frequents.

Ingram, a junior tight end/wide receiver, and Harvey, a junior defensive end, have lived together since they enrolled in classes in 2004.

They are the only Florida underclassmen toying with the decision to declare early for the draft.

Despite all they do together, the struggle to stay in school or go pro appears to be an individual one for the close friends.

BOnce we step off the football field, we just try to enjoy life like regular people,C said Ingram, a well-spoken pretty boy from the close-knit community of Hawthorne, 20 minutes east of campus. BWe try to leave the football here (on the field).C

Ingram and Harvey could be playing their final game together when the Gators play Michigan in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1, a topic they also avoid.

BWe don?t talk about it,C said Harvey, a strong, silent yet menacing type out of Greenbelt, Md.

Really, the only time the future comes up is after practices, when members of the media ask Ingram and Harvey if they have received their projections back from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

Neither has.

Ingram said he will probably return for his senior year if he does not expect to go in the first two rounds.

He has many reasons to stay.

First off, he is not regarded as a sure-fire early-round prospect.

BHe would probably benefit from staying in school,C said draft analyst Frank Coyle, who publishes draftinsiders.com. BIngram would be a marginal top 100 guy.C

After being recruited as a quarterback, Ingram did not start catching passes until spring practice in 2006 and has not developed into a dependable blocker yet.

If he stays, he could become the first member of his family to graduate from college.

Maybe most importantly, Ingram?s mom wants him to return for his senior season.

But the decision ultimately comes down to Ingram.

He?s holding out on making up his mind.

"I?m still kind of wide open,C Ingram said. BI tell everybody I still feel young, the first two years at quarterback, not playing. Last year actually felt like a freshman year for me. This year felt like a sophomore year."

Harvey, meanwhile, could be a first-round pick.

His draft stock has surged since he collected 11 sacks last year and earned defensive MVP honors at the BCS Championship Game.

Harvey still racked up 6.5 sacks this year despite being the focus of opposing offenses, tying him for seventh in the SEC.

All signs point to him following in the large footsteps of fellow end Jarvis Moss, one of four Gators who exited early following last season.

"It?s a good chance he might go," Ingram said. "It?s a good chance he might come back. To be honest, he was almost in the same situation as me, really just getting to play a whole lot (beginning) last year."

Harvey refuses to discuss his rationale for staying or leaving.

But Ingram has already prepared to look for a new roommate if need be.

"We?ll stay in touch," Ingram said. "I?ll ask him to send me a postcard every now and then."