UF freshman defensive tackle Torrey Davis was cited Jan. 19 for underage drinking and is set to appear in court Feb. 7.

The Armwood graduate was cited outside of the nightclub The Venue, 233 W University Ave., "holding a clear plastic cup identified as an alcoholic beverage by sight and smell," according to the citation.

Davis, who was born on Sept. 24, 1988, admitted to drinking a mix of rum and Coca-Cola after he was read his Miranda rights, according to the citation.

In a telephone interview Tuesday night, Davis said the drink belonged to a friend - he declined to name the friend - who had set down the full cup on the counter.

"I wasn't drinking," Davis said. "They asked me, 'Where's your ID at?' I said I didn't have it on me."

Davis said the police officer took him to the side and questioned him further, asking him to tell him the truth. When he said he was 19, Davis said the police officer let him off with a warning for being honest.

He is scheduled to face a misdemeanor offense for possession of alcohol by a minor.

The weekend of Jan. 19 was a heavy recruiting weekend for the Gators, but Davis said he did not host any players.

The freshman played in 11 games this season, finishing with eight tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble.