Lupe Fiasco may have established himself as a skateboarding geek on his debut, "Food & Liquor," but on his brooding sophomore set, "The Cool," he shows why he is one of the most clever storytellers in music.

The pseudo-concept album continues the tale of Michael Young History, a fictional character that debuted on Lupe's first album.

Songs like "Streets on Fire," "Put You On Game" and the horror-film-worthy "The Coolest" personify abstract concepts like "the streets," "the game" and "the cool" in order to explain and criticize some of hip-hop's most popular clichés. This is most evident on the stripped-down, synth-heavy "Dumb It Down," a satirical mocking of modern hip-hop's lyrical deterioration.

Outside of the overall album concept, individual songs deal with their own distinct issues. On "Gotta Eat," Lupe raps from the perspective of a fast food meal trying to kill its unknowing consumer, while "Little Weapon," brilliantly produced by Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump, is a militaristic take on child soldiers and the effect of violent video games on kids.

While "The Cool" takes pride in its fresh ideas, some of the best moments come from its most simple songs. The nostalgic love song "Paris, Tokyo" is reminiscent of vintage A Tribe Called Quest, while the orchestral "Superstar" is a reminder of how current hip-hop can still make a listener feel good.