Survey to evaluate Gainesville services

Randomly selected Gainesville residents will get the chance to strongly agree or disagree on city services by completing a new survey.

City Strategic Planner Lila Stewart said 1,200 households were selected to participate.

Next week, the residents will get a cover letter and a survey to complete.

They will receive multiple copies of the survey to remind them to complete it, Stewart said.

"It's basically a mechanism to obtain feedback from our citizens," she said.

The data will be collected from Jan. 28 to Feb. 29.

Residents will get the chance to rate how much they like living in Gainesville, as well as how effective the city has been in tackling issues like housing, healthcare and transportation.

They are also asked how important some of the provided city services are to them, Stewart said.

The city is using The National Citizen Survey, which is sponsored by the International City/County Management Association in cooperation with the National Research Center.

It's the first year the city has used the survey, and it costs $8,900 to implement.

About 20 other cities in Florida have used the survey, such as Melbourne, Oldsmar and Sarasota.

In April, city officials will receive a report that they can compare with results from other similarly populated areas.