The UF Counseling Center appointed a new director on Friday.

Dr. Sherry Benton, from Kansas State University, said she would provide leadership within the center and diplomacy among campus as UF's director.

Benton said she has worked as an administrator and clinician at KSU's counseling center for 18 years.

"It's very odd to change jobs," Benton said. "In terms of how familiar everything is and knowing who everyone is."

Despite UF being twice the size of KSU, she said she would work to make the "personal connections."

In the next few months, making those connections would help her discover and tend to the specific needs of UF students, she said.

She said she also plans to raise students' awareness about the center, located at Peabody Hall.

The center offers consultation to all UF students and their spouses or partners.

She said her first day on Friday was "a little daunting," but she said she thinks she's doing a good job so far.

She said living in Florida offers many advantages she didn't have at her last job.

"I've got to say the weather is pretty spectacular compared to Kansas," she said.