State of Florida strong in recuiting even without on-field wins

In-state powers might not dominate on the field anymore, but apparently that doesn't matter much to blue-chip prospects.

UF, Florida State and Miami boasted top-10 classes as the 2008 recruiting season climaxed with National Signing Day on Wednesday.

It's a welcome change from last year, when the three teams were humbled to various degrees.

They combined for 17 losses.

FSU suffered a major academic cheating scandal before the Music City Bowl, which it lost.

Miami didn't even make a bowl.

The Gators had it a little better, but even celebrated coach Urban Meyer was placed under a microscope in January thanks to a recruiting controversy.

The negativity can be forgotten for the time being, as all three teams experienced simultaneous success as the letters of intent poured in Wednesday.

UF (No. 11 on Scout.com, No. 3 on Rivals.com, No. 3 on ESPN.com)

The Gators had almost everything to lose and very little to gain, so a quiet signing day didn't come as much of a surprise.

Though UF added coveted wide receiver T.J. Lawrence, it also let two prior verbal commits get away.

Linebacker Ramon Buchanan and offensive lineman Ricky Barnum, who gave their word to UF in January, did not sign letters of intent to come to Gainesville.

Barnum switched to Michigan, and Buchanan chose Miami.

Losing a commitment at a needed position to an in-state school is especially tough for Gators fans to swallow.

Forgetting what happened on signing day, UF put together a solid class.

Safety Will Hill, kicker Caleb Sturgis and defensive tackle Omar Hunter could start right away.

Other stars include wide receiver Carl Moore, linebacker Brendan Beal and offensive tackle Matt Patchan. These names will resurface in a year or two as they work up the depth chart.

UF now has three straight years of elite classes under Meyer, but this one checks in as a little less impressive than the first two.

Grade: B+

FLORIDA STATE (No. 5 on Scout.com, No. 7 on Rivals.com)

FSU gave up 80 points to Southeastern Conference teams in its last two games.

The Seminoles hope a class bubbling with defensive stars can make losses like the ones to UF and Kentucky rare occurrences.

Five-star junior college defensive end Markus White is the gem of Bobby Bowden's haul.

He could start opposite Everette Brown and help shore up a position that used to be fearsome.

Remember Peter Boulware, Reinard Wilson and Andre Wadsworth?

FSU didn't need that much help at linebacker, but they got it anyway.

Nigel Bradham and Vincent Williams will compete to replace Geno Hayes.

The Seminoles solved their quarterback succession situation back in June, when they received a commitment from highly rated pro-style thrower E.J. Manuel.

Like UF, signing day was not kind to FSU.

The Seminoles' top-ranked target, Tallahassee Lincoln cornerback T.J. Bryant, decided he wanted to be as far away from his hometown as possible.

Bryant signed with Southern California.

Still, given FSU's recent on-field troubles, it can't gripe about this class.

Grade: B+

MIAMI (No. 3 on Scout.com, No. 4 on Rivals.com, No. 1 on ESPN.com)

The Hurricanes still own South Florida, and that seems to be good enough.

Miami cracked the top ten in team rankings for the first time since 2005 on Rivals and 2004 on Scout.

'Canes fans finally have something to shout in the faces of the Gators faithful, as they stole away Melbourne linebacker Ramon Buchanan at the last minute.

Another defensive standout, five-star cornerback Brandon Harris, chose Miami on signing day.

That helped shoot the school up ranking lists and ahead of UF on two of three Web sites.

Of their 33 signees, 22 came from the southern half of the state.

Randy Shannon's strategy is crystal clear - recruit the heck out of southern Florida and hope that's enough.

Only one of his top recruits came from outside 'Canes country: Kansas linebacker Arthur Brown.

Still, you have to think Miami won't be going 5-7 a few years from now if classes like this keep rolling in.

Grade: A