UF junior arrested for selling, possessing drugs

A UF student was arrested as he left his history class Tuesday on charges of selling and possessing drugs.

John Edward Vermazen, a 21-year-old history junior from Largo, was arrested by deputies from the Alachua County Sheriff's Office at about 1:30 p.m., according to a report from the sheriff's office.

Vermazen was charged with a second-degree felony for selling cocaine, a third-degree felony for possessing cocaine and a first-degree misdemeanor for possessing marijuana, according to the report.

He was also charged with a third-degree felony for selling prescription drugs. The report did not specify which prescription drugs he was arrested in connection with.

Capt. Jeff Holcomb, spokesman for the University Police Department, said UPD officers assisted sheriff's office deputies in Vermazen's arrest.

They waited outside his class, constitutional history of the U.S. since 1977, until his professor was finished lecturing, Holcomb said.

A warrant for Vermazen's arrest was signed by an Alachua County circuit judge Feb. 8, according to the report.

He was booked at the Alachua County Jail at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday with a posted bond of $27,000.