Maurkice Pouncey transitions to center for sophomore year

It is perhaps an integral part of the offense, and its difficulty can be overlooked by a casual bystander: the center-to-quarterback exchange.

The nature of UF's offense exacerbates the problem, because the center must consistently make quality shotgun snaps.

Departed senior Drew Miller made the job look effortless by the end of the 2007 season after starting at guard in 2006.

Now it's rising sophomore Maurkice Pouncey's turn to make a similar transition.

Pouncey started at guard in 11 of 13 games last season, and this spring has seen him begin the path towards starting at center in the fall.

It hasn't been completely smooth, with plenty of snaps skidding along the ground during the early part of spring.

"It's a lot different than guard," Pouncey said. "You gotta know all the calls. This is a big transition for me right now."

Offensive line coach Steve Addazio said it takes a certain kind of player to excel at center.

"As a center, you've got be a ball guy," Addazio said. "This has gotta be your world. You've gotta be able to understand all the pressures, you've gotta understand how to call defenses, you gotta understand all those things that have to happen. It's real, real important. That guy's like the quarterback of the offense."

Pouncey got the initial nod at first-squad center because of his desire to be that guy.

"Maurkice really wanted it," Addazio said. "He really feels like he'd be good at it, and I think he can be great at it."

Pouncey has turned to Miller for advice after the former Gator went through a similar rough stretch last spring.

"He told me it was going to be hard in the beginning but it will all come through for me," Pouncey said.

Addazio isn't worried about Pouncey's development but will have contingency plans just in case of injury or any other problem.

"We'll have four guys ready to snap the ball come fall," Addazio said. "I want to put the five best offensive linemen on the field, whoever they are, however that unwinds. … Maurkice does a great job, he likes playing center, he's the center. [If] he can hold that position, great. But we'll have four centers ready to play in every game."

The rising sophomore realizes how important his play will be next fall.

After all, even the most potent offense is useless until after the snap.

"It's all on me to get the ball up [to the quarterbacks]," Pouncey said.