Police release sketch of man who assaulted Haile jogger

A sketch of the man who attacked and raped a woman jogging in Haile Plantation Wednesday was released this weekend.

The attack occurred at about 6:30 a.m. at the entrance of the Indigo Square Neighborhood, which is located at Southwest 46th Boulevard and Southwest 94th Street.

The 36-year-old victim suffered serious injuries and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

The incident occurred out in the open about 40 feet from the back of a house and in plain sight of people who could have been on the jogging trail. "We're dealing with an individual who's very brazen and obviously dangerous," said Lt. Stephen Maynard, spokesman for the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

A passing jogger interrupted the attack and witnessed the man get into a dark-colored four-door sedan.

The sketch of the suspect was released Saturday evening, and it is about the fourth sketch that was created from the victim's details of her attacker.

A forensic artist from the Clay County Sheriff's Office created the final sketch by hand, and the victim approved it before its release.

The victim described her attacker as a black male in his late 30s to early 40s who was less than six feet tall and had a medium build.

He also had no facial hair, and he was wearing black shorts and a black shirt at the time of the incident. He was armed with a silver-colored handgun.

The Alachua County Sheriff's Office has received dozens of tips so far, and deputies are following up on all of the leads, Maynard said.

A reward has been created for anyone who helps police identify and arrest a suspect in this case, he said. The reward fund is approaching $20,000. An anonymous donor affiliated with UF donated $10,000, Maynard said.

Anyone who wants to donate to the reward fund can visit the main lobby of the sheriff's office during regular hours with either cash or a check.

If the sheriff's office doesn't reward the money within 24 months, donors can either get their money back or keep it in the fund.

"We're hopeful that it's not going to take two years to catch this guy," Maynard said.

He said law enforcement officers would love to see the suspect sentenced to life in prison.

"We would like for him to never see the light of day again outside of a prison cell," Maynard said.

Police have stepped up patrols in Haile and the surrounding area.

The patrols were very successful Saturday night, Maynard said.

Deputies stopped a suspicious car at 46th Boulevard in Haile and found a suspect wanted for homicide out in Palm Beach County, he said.

"The patrols are yielding results," Maynard said.

Police are also holding a community meeting Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Kanapaha Middle School cafeteria.

The sheriff's office will provide the latest update on the case as well as discuss crime prevention.

If anyone has any information regarding the case, call Detective Heather Phillips at 352-367-4185 or Crime Stoppers at 352-372-7867.