Sheriff's Office arrests UF student on child porn charges

A UF student was arrested on two felony charges related to child pornography following an undercover Internet investigation by the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

Mark Guterman, a microbiology and cell science junior, was arrested in his Gainesville Place apartment Friday for possession with intent to promote child pornography, a second degree felony. If convicted, he could face up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

He was also charged with possession of child pornography, a third degree felony that has a maximum five-year prison sentence.

Guterman admitted he knew the pornography files were on his computer and were available for others to download, according to the report. Officials found a file on his computer depicting a man engaged in sexual acts with two 13-year-old girls.

Guterman made his first appearance in court on Saturday and pled not guilty, said Spencer Mann, spokesman for the State Attorney's Office.

He was released on his own recognizance Saturday night, Mann said.

Guterman's attorney, Thomas Edwards, said he expects the trial will be resolved quickly because his client was released without having to post bail. Guterman declined to comment.

He is allowed to use a computer for limited personal and business purposes, Mann said.

A court date has not been set for his trial.

Tom Kinsey, spokesman for the ASO criminal investigations division, said undercover Internet investigations are issued about three to five times each month in Alachua County.

Steve Orlando, UF spokesman, said students convicted of a felony charge could face expulsion after a hearing with Student Judicial Affairs.