Corey Brewer certainly had some new faces to get used to.

There wasn't any more time to hang out with Joakim Noah, Al Horford or Taurean Green. After spending three years with three people who became best friends, the NBA offered some challenges to the former UF guard. And they didn't just have to do with his slowly improving jump shot.

"It was more of a chemistry thing last year," Brewer said in a phone interview. "We had to learn to play with each other."

Chemistry - or lack thereof - contributed to the Minnesota Timberwolves' 22-60 record, fifth worst in the league. But playing on a team where the majority of players are under 25 doesn't make it easy. That's one of the reasons why he'll participate in the Timberwolves' summer league team in Las Vegas from July 11-20.

He said he hopes to improve his shot, ball handling and decision-making. Since he was drafted No. 7 overall last year, those were the areas that the draft experts said he needed to improve in. It's obvious he has room to grow since averaging just 5.8 points and 3.7 rebounds last year. He averaged almost as many turnovers (1.1) as he did assists (1.4) a game.

But he certainly takes any challenge on the defensive end. Whether he's playing shooting guard or small forward, it doesn't matter for the former Gator.

"You can guard the best player on the court, your position doesn't matter," Brewer said.

When Minnesota drafted guard O.J. Mayo No. 3 this year, it appeared Mayo would probably eat into some of Brewer's playing time. The Timberwolves already have combo guards Randy Foye and Rashad McCants on their roster. But after Minnesota traded Mayo to Memphis for a deal including big man Kevin Love, Brewer will have ample playing time available. And former Gator Mike Miller also came in the deal. Now, along with Chris Richard, that's three Gators up in Minnesota.

"It's going to be nice, especially since a guy like Mike is a vet," Brewer said of having another former UF star on roster.

Plus, getting a guy like Love to go along with Al Jefferson (21 points, 11 rebounds a game) down low will help open it up more for Brewer. So even if he still struggles with his shots, he should be getting better looks. And he'll be able to focus even more on the perimeter defensively, which is what Brewer was known for in Gainesville.

Now it's just a waiting game for the team to develop.

"I feel like we should be a playoff team in the next few years," Brewer said.

The games at the O'Connell Center and the nights spent in the Keys Dormitory, though, are still missed by everyone.

"I have so much love for Gainesville," Noah said.