Last year Ahmad Black played in seven games as a cornerback but didn't crack the two-deep depth chart.

This spring coaches asked him to move to safety even though his 5-foot-9 frame might pose a hindrance.

Now, Black looks to be the starting strong safety and hopes to lead an improved pass defense that ranked last in the Southeastern Conference last season.

While the sophomore has developed quickly at his new position, dwindling depth increased the urgency.

Black can still remember the day in July when junior Dorian Munroe tore his ACL in his right knee, ending his 2008 season before it even began. Munroe was expected to be the starting strong safety after Tony Joiner's graduation.

"We were doing a little 7-on-7 and like a regular play, he went up for the ball, David Nelson went up for the ball. It didn't look bad, you know?" Black said. "He just came down, and he was kind of injured. I asked him if he was all right, he was telling everyone he was fine. He was ok. I went in with the (second team) right after that and got some reps in. Then when it was time for the (first team) to go back in, he told me to go back in for him."

Munroe was just one of many players the team lost at the safety position. Jamar Hornsby was kicked off the team due to off-the-field issues with the law. John Curtis also went down with a season-ending ACL injury, while Bryan Thomas is expected to participate in his first practice today after having a cyst removed from his knee. Academics even played a part when Scout.com's No. 5-ranked safety Dee Finley failed to qualify and was forced to enroll at prep school for a semester. Jerimy Finch, who also played linebacker, transferred to Indiana.

With all the losses adding up, many believed highly-touted incoming freshman Will Hill would now be the other starter alongside sophomore Major Wright. But Scout's No. 1 safety has failed to impress so far and is not among the nine new players who have lost the stripe on their helmets, which signifies becoming part of the team.

"I wish he would be a little bit more advanced right now," Meyer said of Hill early last week.

Now it's Black's opportunity to shine, although he certainly realizes his biggest roadblock every time he looks in the mirror.

"I need to get more size on me," he said with a laugh.

Black's frame puts him at a disadvantage against the typical Southeastern Conference receivers who measure taller than 6 feet.

"As I always say, everybody's got some deficiency," safeties coach Chuck Heater said. "Some guys are not fast enough, some guys don't bend well enough, some guys aren't smart enough, some guys aren't big enough. Well, you look at him and say he's not big enough. Can he play? We'll see. My personal opinion is I have no questions about that. He's got a lot of football in him. He does some of the fundamental things in the game of football you have to do that some guys never do … Time will tell."