What had long been suspected was confirmed after the Gators practice Wednesday: Wide receiver Percy Harvin and linebacker Brandon Spikes will not play in the season-opener against Hawaii on Saturday.

Harvin has been recovering from heel surgery, and Spikes' injured right foot is still bothering him, UF coach Urban Meyer said.

Meyer denied that the Gators were resting the two simply because Hawaii should be a pushover.

"There's no holding anyone (back)," Meyer said. "We're playing a team that was 12-0, so we better play some excellent defense and take care of the football on Saturday."

Meyer was uncertain if Spikes and Harvin would be able to play on Sept. 6 against Miami, and said their availability would be determined next week in practice.

Sophomore offensive lineman Maurice Hurt also missed practice and will be unavailable Saturday with a shoulder stinger.

Meyer expects senior offensive lineman Jim Tartt and sophomore center Maurkice Pouncey to play against Hawaii.

After missing Tuesday's practice with a staph infection, backup quarterback John Brantley did practice with the team Wednesday.

WILSON TO O-LINE: Junior Ronnie Wilson, currently listed as a defensive lineman, has moved back to his old position on the offensive line, defensive line coach Dan McCarney said.

Wilson played left guard during the Gators' 2006 run to the national championship, but was kicked off the team in April 2007 for disciplinary reasons. He rejoined the team this summer.

HOME COOKING: When asked if he would travel as far as Hawaii for a road game, or even to a state like California or Texas, Meyer's answer was straightforward.

"No. Not with our schedule," Meyer said. "Have you seen our schedule?"

The farthest UF will travel from Gainesville this season is in Fayetteville, Ark., on Oct. 4.

STADIUM SHAPING UP: Wednesday brought more signs of football's imminent arrival in The Swamp. The logo at the 50-yard line had been stenciled in along with the end zones and the 25-yard-line logos.

The old, blocky font used in the end zone in past years has been replaced by the more angular logo.

Both field goal crossbars had also been erected, but no posts were attached.