The UF Student Senate passed a referendum Tuesday night to give us the chance to vote on having an extra day off from classes. Yay!

The Thanksgiving Travel Day Bill, if effective, would let students vote on if they want to cancel classes the Wednesday before Turkey Day so students can travel home for the holidays without missing any class time.

And would you believe it only took one reading to pass?

We're sure that everyone would love an extra day at home with their families before finals and our annual gridiron beatdown of Florida State, but a Senate referendum alone will not get us there.

Jeanna Mastrodicasa, assistant vice president for student affairs, said she didn't know if faculty would be supportive, and UF spokesman Steve Orlando said UF President Machen probably wouldn't go for it anyway.

Seems to us that a bill like this serves primarily to maintain the self-esteem of the Senate and cram hollow, happy thoughts into the student body's collective mind.

It would be extremely difficult to feel guilty for introducing a bill that would give students a breather as the semester dwindles to crunch time. However, if this referendum is not backed by UF's administration, it lacks any real substance and merit.

The Editorial Board does not want to see its readers' heads filled with hot air. There's no reason to build us up just to let us down.

If we really enjoyed being disappointed, we would've continued to apply to MIT at the behest of our glue-sniffing high school guidance counselors, despite our non-existent SAT math scores.

All we're saying is we want the Senate's actions to be both practical and possible.