City buildings to move to four–day workweek

Anyone with business at City Hall this week should make sure to plan around the city's new four-day workweek.

Starting this week, city office buildings including City Hall, the Thomas Center and the Old Library Building will be closed on Fridays. Monday through Thursday hours will be extended from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Previously, hours were 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There were a number of reasons for the change, city spokesman Bob Woods said - the first being a possible $90,000 savings per year in heating and cooling costs.

The new schedule could also be more convenient for working residents, Woods said.

"If individuals need to obtain a permit, for example, they would be able to stop by City Hall prior to getting to their own places of employments," he said.

Opening the offices an hour earlier might also take cars off downtown roads during morning and afternoon rush hours, he said. They wouldn't be there at all on Fridays.

"Hopefully, our employees may experience some gas savings," Woods said.

Some employees, though, have expressed concern about the schedule, which has already been tested by a few city departments, including Regional Transit System.

"Ten hours is a long day," Woods said. "A lot of young parents want to spend quality time with their families and children."

In response to concerns, he said, individual departments have offered options including working fewer hours for less pay or telecommuting on Friday. Human resources has also distributed a list of local day cares, he said.

The four-day workweek could soon be a possibility for Alachua County as well, county spokesman Mark Sexton said. The Board of County Commissioners will discuss the possibility in October.

"Frankly, it's a much more difficult decision for the county than it was for the city," Sexton said.

Many county employees share buildings with officials such as the supervisor of elections, tax collector and property appraiser, he said.

"They don't work for the County Commission," he said. "They're separately elected officers. We can't require them to close down."

Commissioners are usually quick to discuss the savings in energy costs, he said, but no dollar amount has been estimated.

Sexton said he was certain county officials would be in contact with the city before making a decision.

Woods said the city would re-evaluate its decision after a year. Until then, he said he hoped everyone would become easily accustomed to the schedule change.

"We're trying to be as sensitive as we can to our employees and anticipate as many issues as we can to make this transition as smooth as possible," he said.