CosmoGirl editor speaks about magazine industry at UF

As the executive editor at CosmoGirl, Turner addressed a room full of women Monday evening at UF's Leigh Hall, describing the details of the magazine business and the importance of internships.

After introducing herself, Turner passed around a handout and opened her slideshow. She said most magazines are set up the same way, so she covered the ins and outs of a magazine, talking about different departments and their roles in putting magazines together.

CosmoGirl, which has a readership of 8 million, has 35 people on staff and several interns.

Stories go through each department and every fact and sentence in the magazine is checked and rechecked, she said.

Because there are so many editors, she said, some stories take almost six months to complete from conception to print.

Even the cover takes meticulous planning.

If the word "sex" is mentioned on a magazine cover, editors must design a separate cover to be sold in Wal-Mart, which is the No. 1 distributor of magazines in the U.S., she said.

Turner also described her experiences in the journalism industry and the details that go into making a magazine successful.

Much of Turner's advice focused on practical work experience. Turner's love of journalism and firsthand knowledge of the importance of internships moved her to create a Web site called Ed2010.com.

The Web site features advice blogs, message boards, networking events and internship opportunities, among other resources.

Turner said summers are incredibly competitive, and the best time to apply for a great internship, especially in a city like New York, is in the fall or spring.

In addition to talking about her experiences, she had other advice for attendees.

"You gotta write quick," she said when explaining how fast-paced the industry is.