A Titusville police officer is being investigated by University Police on charges of stalking a UF student.

According to UPD investigations, Adam Paul Treinen, an officer of the Titusville Police Department, may have used unauthorized police resources to conduct searches on the 26-year-old student, a complaint affidavit stated.

Treinen, 25, has a child with the student's girlfriend, the affidavit stated.

The student told police he and his girlfriend have received unwanted phone calls and text messages for the past year, it stated.

The situation culminated Sept. 9, when he discovered that his password to the UF computer network had been reset without his permission, it stated.

The password could be used to access academic records, financial information and private e-mails, it stated.

According to the affidavit, he reported the incident to the Computing Help Desk, which determined that the password had been changed over the phone three hours earlier, when a caller had successfully answered his security questions.

While on the phone with the help desk, someone else logged onto the account from a computer in Titusville, it stated. While the help desk was investigating the problem, the same caller again requested the password to be reset, it stated.

Officials notified UF police, who traced the call to a telephone number belonging to Treinen, it stated.

An investigation by the police showed that just prior to the student's account being accessed, Treinan had viewed his personal data from a computer at the Titusville Police Department using police driver and vehicle records, it stated. Police speculated that information from the records could have been used to answer the security questions, it stated.

In March of 2008, the investigation found, Treinen had requested information about the student from University Police, saying he was trying to obtain an injunction against him for harassing his fiancee and child, it stated.

Investigation of the case is still underway.