Motorcycles, tattoos and wet T-shirt contests crowded the charity scene in High Springs over the weekend.

Despite concerns from local citizens, the 2nd Annual High Springs Bikefest ran without incident and raised thousands of dollars for veterans, said Bill Black, president of North Central Florida Bike Events, Inc.

Black said the organization's permit request from the city was voted down because organizers wanted to serve alcohol at the Saturday and Sunday festival. And even though the beer began flowing as early as 10 a.m., there were no incidents on Saturday.

"The three police officers we hired for the event were amazed at how good everyone was," Black said.

The officers' surprise at the responsibility of the crowd, comprised of over 2,000 bikers before dusk Saturday, probably came from the biker stereotype, said American Performance Cycles of North Florida owner Sherman Stanley.

"Back in the '60s and '70s bikers got a bad rap because most stole money to pay for their bikes," Stanley said.

A little bit of the bad boy image still lingered at the event, which raised money for The Military Order of the Purple Heart and the American Legion. Studded leather vests and lower back tattoos were the dress code for many.

Live bands performed southern rock anthems such as "Breakdown" by Gainesville native Tom Petty and "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.

A large tent served as a makeshift bar complete with Hooters girls and a flat screen TV showing the Gators game and NASCAR racing. Girls in tight black tank tops, daisy dukes and knee-high black boots sauntered through the crowd selling Jell-O shots. Behind the tent, a sponsored "bike wash" featured bikini-clad girls soaping up thousand-dollar bikes. Other events included a bike show with categories from "Trikes," anything with three wheels, to "Builders," customized bikes that are often called the "chopper" style.

Sunday morning, the Christian Motorcyclists Association held a church service and a "Blessing of the Bikes," rounding out a bike fest that had something for everyone across the spectrum.

The event attracted people of all ages, from kids in miniature leather vests to veterans who served several tours in Vietnam, such as John Henry Douglas of Lake City.

Douglas said he was honored to be a part of the festival and said many organizations, such as the benefactors, the Military Order of the Purple Heart and the American Legion, wouldn't survive without bike fests. He disagrees with people's perception of bikers, saying they've gotten that bad image from TV.

"A lot of people think bikers are bad, they're really not," he said. "You're gonna find them down to earth, and they'd do anything for you."

This biker brotherhood is what draws so many to these types of events, said Alachua resident Andy Seaton.

"You get to be around people who are like-minded," Seaton said. "You wouldn't go to a Corvette show to see bikes."

Freedom, the open road and excitement are all reasons he rides, he said.

"You want something exciting between your legs that isn't X-rated," he said jokingly.