University of North Florida President John Delaney may take over some duties of the outgoing chancellor of Florida's Board of Governors.

The board's chairwoman, Sheila McDevitt, made a recommendation Tuesday to appoint Delaney as "president in residence" of the board. McDevitt's recommendation will be voted on by the board at its meeting in Tallahassee on Nov. 20, according to a news release.

Florida law, which forbids holding dual office-holding, prevents Delaney from taking over the full duties of Mark Rosenberg, outgoing chancellor. Delaney will remain UNF president, the release stated. Delaney will not be paid for his work as partial chancellor.

Bill Edmonds, board spokesman, said the board has never appointed a partial chancellor and had to come up with a title, president in residence, for it.

Edmonds said it was important for the board to find a temporary replacement to handle some responsibilities after Rosenberg leaves in February and before the new chancellor is chosen, which could come in July.

He said Delaney will mostly work to make sure that issues facing the state's 11 public universities receive attention from the state Legislature, which begins its session in March.