Improv group to host mock political rally

Who is Gary?

Gary is pro-children. Gary is for fixing the economy.

Gary is also running for president, or at least according to Theatre Strike Force, a UF improv and sketch comedy troupe.

TSF will hold a mock presidential rally Monday at 9 p.m. in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom in support of Gary, an imaginary candidate for this year's presidential election.

The event is free and open to the public.

Filup Molina, who has been a member of TSF for four years and often emcees its shows, said the event will be a themed sketch comedy show parodying all aspects of the political process.

"As soon as you enter those doors, you're in a world where Gary is a candidate for president," Molina said.

Because of the prominence of the upcoming general election, Molina said commentary from the college student's point of view is necessary to dispel conformist thinking encouraged by political parties and media.

In preparation for the rally, TSF has attempted to construct a stand-alone, alternate reality that the members hope will permeate UF in the weeks leading up to the event.

TSF's marketing campaign for the event includes two Web sites in support of and in opposition to the fake candidate: www.WeAreGary.com and www.WeArentGary.com.

Ads will run on Comedy Central, Cartoon Network and FX on campus televisions throughout the week.

In addition, TSF will hold pro-Gary and anti-Gary rallies Wednesday and Friday in the early afternoon on Turlington Plaza, the Reitz Union North Lawn and the Plaza of the Americas.