In a game that played out more like an exhibition or a video game one of the most interesting nuggets in the Gators public beating of the Citadel is the growing confidence of backup QB John Brantley.

Brantley completed 8 of 11 passes for 110 yards and one touchdown in Florida's 70-19 drubbing of the Bulldogs.

With all of the blowouts the Gators have played in of late Brantley has received more opportunities to play this season. Brantley played about two and a half quarters Saturday, which is by far the longest outing of his career.

"We're very positive about John," Coach Urban Meyer said. "He had one bad outing but other than that he's shown management of the offense and management of the huddle, reads and signals. Coach (Dan) Mullen is very pleased with his development."

The sophomore seems to be developing chemistry with receivers Deonte Thompson and David Nelson.

Two of Nelson's three scores this season have come with Brantley manning the huddle.

"I think it really started with him and my brother," said Nelson. "He was my brother's quarterback in high school at Trinity (Catholic)."

With QB Cameron Newton's future with Florida remaining in limbo and Brantley's steadily improving play, he appears poised to take over the starting position whenever QB Tim Tebow time with the team is done, whether it's because Tebow leaves early for the NFL Draft after this season or graduation next season.

"I think if I can stay healthy this offseason and have a good spring I'll be ready," Brantley said. "Obviously, those are big shoes to fill and hopefully I can do it."

Tebow is already beginning to show his pupil the ropes. The junior has made it a custom of running along the sidelines high-fiving fans after victories, and this time he took Brantley along with him.

"It was my idea, I made him come," Tebow said. "He was kind of a little shy at first but it's the second time I've made him come and made him do that. Hopefully we can start a tradition."

The more important tradition that Tebow and the Gators hope Brantley can continue is the tradition of winning. According to Brantley, things are starting to slow down for him.

"The game is definitely slowing down for me," he said. "Coach Meyer asks me every day if it is and I'll say it definitely is. That's helping me out a bunch."