Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey brought enough speed to make opponents' defenses weak in the knees.

With Emmanuel Moody finally playing and healthy, the Gators have a power running back to complete their deck of cards.

Moody, a sophomore transfer from Southern Cal, has played in two consecutive games for UF-including a team-high 71 yards on the ground against Georgia - since missing the previous three with a badly sprained right ankle.

"I feel like I'm getting my confidence back and just having fun out there again," Moody said.

Moody played in three of UF's first four games, tallying 73 yards on 14 carries before leaving the Mississippi game with his ankle injury. He was finding his way into the UF offense before the injury.

That made it even more trying for the soft-spoken tailback.

"Frustration definitely was a part of it. I felt like everything was going well," he said. "But it really takes endurance to keep going because you've got to expect injuries."

Now, Moody is back to form. While coach Urban Meyer said Moody is still not 100 percent, he followed his 71-yard effort against Georgia with 48 yards on seven carries against Vanderbilt. Saturday's contest included a 24-yard rush that showed he is capable of making people miss.

"It was like, 'Man, how slow are you? I could have run through that (hole),'" right tackle Jason Watkins joked about the long run. "That's a hard runner, man."

His performance the last two weeks is proving he is well on his way to being completely healthy. As each week goes by, he feels the strength return to his ankle, and he is capable of making moves he could not the game before.

"One run (against Vanderbilt) I felt like I made a cut that I wouldn't have been able to make about a week ago," Moody said. "My ankle's gotten a lot stronger, and the training staff has really been working with me."

Standing on the sidelines for three straight games may have been just what Moody needed. As he warmed the bench, Demps and Rainey became breakout players whose big-play potential was making people forget Moody existed.

Demps was named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week on Oct. 4 and SEC Special Teams Player of the Week two weeks later. Not only was he blowing by defenders for long touchdown sprints, but he blocked two punts and was making waves on special teams.

Rainey gashed Arkansas for a 75-yard run - the team's longest offensive play of the year - and earned more carries than any running back on the team.

Suddenly, Moody's touches were no longer guaranteed.

The two proved to be the motivation to keep Moody in check, said offensive coordinator Dan Mullen.

"I think Emmanuel, watching how those other guys play, watching how our offense plays, the intensity they play with, when he came back he realized, 'I better be ready to go hard,'" Mullen said. "And he's done that."

It initially appeared Moody would once again find himself missing out on chances to play, much like he did at Southern Cal.

But now that he's getting touches and contributing to a team with national title aspirations, Moody is glad he made the switch to Gainesville.

"I definitely made the right choice," Moody said.