University Police arrested a UF student Tuesday on suspicion of sexual assault.

The student, a 19-year-old sophomore who lives in Springs Residential Complex, could face a first-degree felony charge after his roommate told police he woke up to find the student performing a sexual act on him in his bed without his consent, according to a UPD arrest report.

The defendant's name is not published to protect the roommate's identity.

UPD Detective Jeff Moran said the roommate came to the department on Tuesday to file a report about the incident, which took place at about 2:30 a.m. Monday, according to the report.

The defendant said in a Tuesday interview with Moran that he performed the act and felt like he "forced himself" on his roommate and "felt remorse for his action," according to the report.

The arrested student was taken to the Alachua County Jail at about 2:15 p.m. Tuesday without posting bail. A jail official said he was being held overnight.

Spencer Mann, State Attorney spokesman, said if convicted, the offense is punishable by up to 30 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Paige Crandall, interim dean of students, said students found guilty of felony charges could face expulsion.