Expansion of GPD headquarters comes closer to fruition

Expansion plans for the Gainesville Police Department downtown headquarters are inching closer to reality.

The Gainesville City Commission passed two resolutions Thursday night establishing zoning and land use requirements that will allow GPD to continue with plans.

These changes allow for expansion that will include more administrative offices, utility and storage facilities, and an indoor firing range. The expansion will be adjacent to GPD's current headquarters at Northwest Sixth Street and Eighth Avenue on a 2.56-acre site purchased three years ago.

Part of the Gainesville Rail Trail bicycle path would have to be altered to avoid the newly expanded headquarters.

At a previous meeting Oct. 2, Commissioner Scherwin Henry expressed concerns about having the firing range close to neighborhoods.

On Thursday, Henry brought up concerns about a nearby retention pond, which will be removed from the plans.

An 8-foot fence intended to muffle firing range noise was still a point of contention for Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan.

The commission resolved to remove the fence from the plans that were passed and to discuss it at a later time.

Although some residents have voiced complaints about the construction near their homes, Commissioner Thomas Hawkins said he felt concerns had been aired at a community workshop that was held since the last commission discussion.