Mayor to deliver State of the City address

Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan will make her annual State of the City address Wednesday at 8 a.m. in front of the Hippodrome State Theatre.

The speech will give a summary of the city's growth over the past year and discuss plans for a successful future, according to a City of Gainesville news release.

One of the major issues Mayor Hanrahan will touch on is the receding economy's effect on Gainesville, said Bob Woods, Gainesville's communications and marketing director.

With the Florida Legislature making drastic budget cuts, the mayor is anticipating budget shortfalls for the city, he said.

City Manager Russ Blackburn is working on a budget plan and asking different city departments to find programs and services that can be cut in order to relieve budget tension.

This upcoming fiscal year is the third year in a row that the city manager has had to schedule cuts.

A meeting is scheduled next month for Blackburn to present a budget plan to the mayor and the rest of the Gainesville City Commission.

Despite budget problems and the slacking economy, the city has many accomplishments, which Hanrahan will highlight during her speech, Woods said.

"There is still much to be excited about in Gainesville," he said.