Sunday, June 16, 2024

While the path will not be easy, President Barack Obama outlined a clear-cut plan seeking to remedy the current ills affecting America.

In his powerful State of the Nation speech to Congress, Obama stated early on that his policies will mark a clear separation from the past, as both the government and the citizens of the United States must be more responsible as they move forward.

In outlining his recovery plan, Obama remarked that he does not believe in bigger government, but rather in acting boldly and wisely to ensure the long-term success of the country. He stood firmly behind his first major course of action in the passage of the stimulus package, adding that the failure to act would have cost countless citizens jobs and prohibited 95 percent of Americans from receiving a tax cut. Additionally, he spoke of a tax credit for college students - enabling millions to pay for four years of higher education without accumulating endless debt.

The key focus under Obama's direction to right the economy was directed to the everyday hardworking Americans. Stating, "Slowly but surely, confidence will return and our economy will recover," Obama offered the nation a look at the harsh uphill battle that America will face, but with hope of a chance to once again thrive. Simply put, there is no overnight quick fix but rather a series of long-term investments that will lead to new jobs and increased competition on the global market.

Obama went on to tout the importance of Recovery.gov - a Web site that shows Americans where stimulus money is being spent, allowing for a sense of transparency that rarely exists in the federal government. Making sure to hit on the credit crisis, Obama stated that it affects everyone, but that Americans can rest assured that their money and insurance are safe. In his mind, credit acts as the lifeblood of the economy - enabling citizens to purchase vehicles and homes and start businesses with the loans. While Obama admitted that the stimulus package is just the first step in correcting the economy, he was more than prepared to provide Congress with a laundry list calling attention the need to focus on energy, health care and education.

With energy, he emphasized a dedication to finding a fuel source that is not only clean and renewable but also profitable. Calling for legislation to focus attention on increased research in the field, Obama announced a commitment of $15 billion to double renewable energy sources.

Obama addressed the importance of health care by talking about how many small businesses were forced to close and big corporations left no choice but to lay off workers due to rising costs of insurance. Speaking with conviction, Obama proudly proclaimed that more had been accomplished in the past 30 days than the past decade to create important changes to health care. Much to the enthusiasm of the audience, Obama concluded his discussion on the subject by demanding a cure for cancer as well as ensuring health care for all.

The final major focus area of his speech dealt with education - stating that a lack of knowledge is a prescription for economic decline. Under his direction, Obama wants to ensure that every child in America has access to the best education possible. In perhaps his most poignant remark of the evening, Obama spoke candidly to the many students across the country who dropped out of school.

"It's not just quitting on yourself; you're quitting on your country."

A stoic, if not sobering, account of the realities of the state of America, Obama's speech provided a semblance of hope for the masses desperately seeking any hint at economic upturn.