Voters have big decisions to make before March election

With two open commission seats and two proposed charter amendments on the ballot for the upcoming city election, voters have a lot to wade through on their way to the polls.

First-term incumbent Scherwin Henry has one opponent for his District-1 seat - Marcia Wimberly, whose Web site says she wants to address city revenue shortfalls while creating jobs and businesses.

Jeanna Mastrodicasa, who is serving her first term as an at-large commissioner, faces four contenders - Tom Cunilio, Robert Krames, James Schlachta and Richard Selwach.

Cunilio, a substitute teacher and UF graduate, said his top priorities are homelessness and transportation. He wants to reduce emissions by making Gainesville more transportation friendly, he said.

Schlachta, a UF graduate and employee of the Florida Museum of Natural History, describes himself as a fiscal conservative and said he is committed to wise city spending. He wants to improve city traffic and boost safety downtown.

Selwach, a self-described libertarian and owner of a pawnshop in downtown Gainesville, said that his 20 years of business experience and 30 years as a Gainesville resident qualify him.

Selwach said he wants to improve the city's water supply, an area he thinks has been ignored by the current commission.

He also wants to create a zone with lockers and portable toilets where homeless people can stay for a few days before moving on. He said he wants to send Gainesville homeless back to where they came from.

"We'll take care of you for a few days while you get on your feet," he said. "And then I'm buying you a bus ticket out of town."

In 2007, Selwach was arrested on charges that he knowingly sold stolen national championship rings. He was found not guilty.

Krames, a 26-year-old Web designer, said that the most important issue facing Gainesville is a disconnect between the current commission and city residents.

"I think that our current elected officials have not been open to public input as much as they could be," he said. "They've basically done what they wanted to do."

Krames also plans to deal with mismanagement of city funds, he said.

"We've got roads that are falling apart," he said, "and at the same time, we've got these beautiful water fountains."

Mastrodicasa, who also serves as UF's vice president of student affairs, hopes to keep her seat in the commission to further efforts in energy conservation, community standards for local bars and looming city budget constraints.

Mastrodicasa said that she is always happy to speak with students because their participation is essential to local government. She added that students are often ignored because they do not vote.

"Even when they're down here fully opposing something I've led, I'm very excited that they're participating," she said.

If Charter Amendment 1 passed, Gainesville would lose the right to prohibit discrimination based on qualities such as gender identity and sexual orientation.

Mastrodicasa is the only candidate in the At-Large race to oppose Charter Amendment 1.

She said the amendment would permanently prevent Gainesville from making changes on the discrimination issue. It would also remove the city policy that gives job preference to veterans and local businesses preference over corporations.

Selwach said he supports passing the amendment. "I'm all for everybody's rights and stuff like that, but it needs to be brought to the state and federal level - not at the local level at this time," he said.

Charter Amendment 2 would require voter approval before the city sells land used for conservation, recreation or cultural purposes or uses it for another purpose. Mastrodicasa supports the amendment.

Krames said he would oppose requiring a vote.

"We should be able to trust the city officials to decide," he said.

Schlachta, Selwach and Cunilio were unfamiliar with the proposal.

Supervisor of Elections Pam Carpenter said she hopes that the turnout will mirror that of November's presidential election - in which 81 percent of Alachua County residents voted - but expects turnout to be lower, as is typical of local elections.

Voters can determine their districts by calling the Supervisor of Elections or checking their voter registration cards.

Feb. 23 is the last day of voter registration. Early voting begins March 16. The regular election will be held March 24.