Meyer doesn't see I-formation in Gators' future

Those on hand to watch UF's spring practices in the past week have been treated to a bizarre sight: quarterbacks Tim Tebow and John Brantley taking snaps under center.

Under new offensive coordinator Steve Addazio, the Gators are experimenting with the I-formation in addition to their usual spread offense.

"We're testing it out, I guess you could say," Brantley said. "We'll see how it goes."

According to coach Urban Meyer, it's not going very well so far. Meyer cited the lack of depth at tight end and the absence of a dependable fullback as reasons why the I-formation doesn't have a promising future in Gainesville.

"That I-package, I'm not sure how long that will be sticking around here," Meyer said. "You want to have it in, but like I said four years ago when I walked on this campus, we don't really have an offense (for it). It's an offense based on what we have, so we can run (the I-formation) all we want, but if the players struggle or they're young and inexperienced, we won't run that package."

Last spring, the Gators practiced in formations with two tight ends to utilize Cornelius Ingram and Aaron Hernandez, but those plans took a big hit when Ingram went down with a knee injury and missed the entire season.

With Ingram now headed for an NFL career, Hernandez is the only reliable tight end left.

"Right now, you have Aaron Hernandez, who's playing great - one of the top five players on the team - but (freshman Desmond) Parks has no idea which way right or left is, and the fullbacks are struggling as well, so it's not looking very good," Meyer said.

OKINE BEEFING UP:

Earl Okine has eaten and lifted his way into a new position.

The Gainesville native was recruited as a 235-pound defensive end, but at 280 pounds, his future is on the interior of the defensive line.

"Coach McCarney had a feeling (Okine would end up at defensive tackle)," Meyer said. "I thought he'd be a Jarvis Moss-type end, but he just keeps growing and growing. He's up to 280 pounds, benching 400. And he's not done growing, either."