The indoor pool at the O'Connell Center closed on Monday due to renovations.

According to Erva Gilliam, the coordinator for UF swimming, the renovations will be complete the third week of June and will include resurfacing the pool deck and replacing the current flooring with tile.

Some starting blocks in the deep end will also be resurfaced, and additional painting will be done around the pool's perimeter.

"Basically, it's due for a face lift," Gilliam said. "It will help with recruiting efforts and help us be a little more competitive with the universities that are building and have built facilities."

When asked about the budget, Gilliam declined to comment. However, she said the University Athletic Association would provide the funding for the project.

While the renovations are anticipated to enhance the pool's appearance, they have caused inconveniences.

Gilliam said the UF swim team had to reschedule its two-a-day practices at different locations. Members of the Club Alligator Swim Team, who usually practice at the pool Monday through Friday, have not been able to meet.

Diane James, the risk management and aquatics coordinator for RecSports, said some of the indoor pool's usual activities have been either postponed or rescheduled until the renovations are complete.

One of the options to relocate the pool's functions is the Florida Pool, which belongs to the College of Health and Human Performance. However, the pool's schedule includes some academic classes in the evening, so there is no room to schedule time for recreational swimming.

The renovations have also cut 90 hours a week for student lifeguards.

"Because we knew this was going to happen and we knew it would impact us so strongly, we chose to rewrite the schedule once spring break was over," James said.

"We kept everyone employed - that's the bottom line."