Sunday, June 16, 2024

Continuing his trend of engaging in everyman endeavors, President Barack Obama's actions Thursday evening rang true with innumerable people across the country - wishing he could take back the words he already said.

During his interview on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," Obama likened his latest bowling efforts to a performance one would see at the Special Olympics.

And with one careless sentence, Obama showed the world that he, too, is far from perfect.

What makes Obama's careless choice of words so disappointing is the very group of people in question whose feelings he undoubtedly hurt.

Individuals with developmental disabilities work harder than anyone else in the world to have a chance at what society deems as a normal life. The Special Olympics, specifically, provides a forum for athletes to compete against their peers at a high level and let them feel accomplished for their undying persistence. Yet, with the casual slip of the tongue by a hero for many Special Olympics athletes, they were relegated to nothing more than a stereotype that belies reality.

Yes, Obama realized that he made a mistake - even apologizing for his gaff before the interview hit the airwaves. There is no reason not to accept his sincere regret for his actions, as Obama is simply a man who from time to time is bound to make errors in judgment. If there is any good to come out of this rather innocent miscue, the Editorial Board hopes Americans can become more conscious of their word choice and have a deeper appreciation for everyone with developmental disabilities.