The Santa Fe College softball team (33-3, 8-2 Mid-Florida Conference) took another doubleheader Saturday against South Florida Community College.

The Saints held the Panthers to no runs in both games with final scores of 6-0 and 5-0, respectively.

"We're doing really well," said freshman pitcher Kimberly Squires (17-1, 0.71 ERA). "We started shaky, but now we're pulling together."

Squires' pitching held the Panthers to just three hits in Game 1 of the doubleheader, and the offense did the rest.

Sophomore outfielder Brittany Cannon drilled a ball over the center-field fence in the second inning for a 3-run homer, driving in sophomore shortstop Erika Garcia and freshman designated player Maria Gilreath, whose earlier RBI made the score 4-0.

The sixth inning brought a 2-run homer from freshman second baseman Carissa Albizu for a final score of 6-0. Albizu finished the game on defense, making the last two plays in the seventh.

"The team is really starting to gel," coach Chris Ahern said. "They are becoming more experienced and getting to know each other and what is expected. They're also becoming more disciplined. We are using our tools and changing the lineup to see what we get, and it's working. But I don't want to jinx it."

In Game 2, the Saints' defense proved impenetrable. Sophomore pitcher Ashley Schmitt (15-2, 0.61 ERA) held the Panthers to one hit, and the defense tied up all the loose ends.

"We did really well today," Schmitt said. "The defense was really good. I know they always have my back. And our hitting was strong too, which helps."

The Saints offense produced 5 runs on 10 hits. In the bottom of the fifth, Albizu started a rally that brought the score to 4-0. Freshman outfielder Brittany Doty hit a fielder's choice that knocked in 1, and sophomore utility Lawna Hunter had two RBIs.

A line-drive double to the fence from Cannon sealed the game.